If you want to learn how to code, taking your first steps into this huge universe might seem like a daunting, if not intimidating task. Here’s the big secret: There are plenty of free (and inexpensive) resources you can use to give yourself all the help you need, teach yourself new techniques, and make this learning process fun and exciting—as exciting as coding can get, at least.
Whether you’re an adult looking to transition into the tech industry, a student looking to learn the latest language, or a hobbyist who just wants to understand how software and services work, all you need is a computer and internet access to start your programming journey. But before you take a flying leap into The Matrix, here are our best tips and resources to set you off on the right foot.
- Ask yourself: Why do you want to learn how to code?
- Choose the right programming language
- Try out some online courses
- Focus on learning computational thinking
- Get a book
- Check out some interactive tutorials or coding games
- Watch videos about coding
- Practice with personal projects
- Google your error messages